See, everyone has a July 4th, but we Americans are lucky, we celebrate Independence Day! That is the meaning of today. Remembering that on this day in 1776, brave men defied the King of England and signed The Declaration of Independence. Knowing this would bring on war with the mighty English Army and Navy, that they were going to have to fight for their freedom, they were of strong enough conviction to stand and say

To read the text of The Declaration of Independence, click here.
It's 59 minutes into Independence Day here in Annapolis, a town that can proudly say it is the home to all four Maryland signers of this historic document. William Paca House and Gardens are world famous, and Charles Carroll of Carrollton's residence sits on the grounds of what is now St. Mary's Catholic Church, along the waters of Spa Creek.
We Americans have become so arrogant, taking everything we have for granted. We forget about the men and women who have put their lives in danger, even sacrificed them, for this country. I don't care how you feel about the war that's being waged right now, you owe everything you have to them!
So please, in the midst of your cookout, drinking and laughing with friends, watching the fireworks light up the sky, remember those brave souls. Remember all the families who have lost loved ones to the ongoing fight for America's freedom. Remember that there are thousands of families that can't be together to enjoy today's festivities. Remember that those men and women are the reason you're enjoying that cookout, that beer, those fireworks.
Explain to your children that today isn't just July 4th. It isn't just about cookouts and fireworks. It's about our Nation's history. Sacrifice. Selflessness. Patriotism. Unity. Teach them that it's not okay to fidget around and play when The Star Spangled Banner is played. It's a time to reflect. To show respect. To Remember.
And say a prayer of thanks! This day has been made possible by all who have come before and all those who have and are serving. This small tribute is dedicated to all the men and women, civilian and military, who have served the United States of America! May God always bless the United States of America and her people!
Happy Independence Day!




On a more private note, this is for my brother, Ian, who served for ten years in the United States Army. His tour of duty included posts to Texas, Korea, Kentucky, Egypt, Iraq, and Hawaii. That tour in Egypt, and especially Iraq, were harrowing for my entire family; being glued to the tv and checking online to make sure no rockets were fired at Ian's base. Waiting to get the phone call telling us that he was okay when they were; the dangerous convoy into Iraq and the equally perilous drive out, waiting for that final phone call from Kuwait saying that he made it. I will never forget that day in January 2005 when I heard his voice saying he was back home. And the joy of hugging him and seeing him with my own eyes at Honolulu International Airport three months later when I went to visit Ian and his family. Knowing that he was truly back home and safe. I love you, Ee. You're my hero.
Yes, I know how very lucky I am to have my brother home safe. I'm thankful for that every day. And tears come to my eyes whenever soliders and their families are mentioned. I don't know if it's because in the back of my mind, I'm thinking of all the families who have lost loved ones, or the fact that every single one of them volunteered for that job...that these people complaining about the war didn't have the guts to join them...but it makes me sick that it isn't Independence Day anymore, it's just the 4th of July, a day off so they can drink beer and party and watch fireworks.
For me, it's an honor to have dispayed the Blue Star Flag in my window for 10 years, indicating that someone in my family was on active duty. I feel sorry for those that take their freedom for granted and don't know the sense of pride those Soldiers, Airmen, Sailors, and Marines have inside them, the honor of serving their country. Even now, that flag is still there, in solidarity with the families who are waiting for their service men and women to return to them. The thoughts and prayers of me and my famlily are with you.
Graphics from A Time to Remember and Patriotic Images and Stock Photos











































































a href="http://www.justparents.co.uk/">




Happy 4th To you as well. Thanks for the link.
ReplyDeleteVery well said Beth. It gave me goose bumps reading it. Thanks for reminding me that it's not just another day but something special to remember and celebrate our brave men and women who serve. Happy Independence Day!
ReplyDeleteHappy Independence Day to you Beth!
ReplyDeleteBarb in TX
Hi Beth,
ReplyDeleteHaven't personally chatted to you before but we are/were on the same ccs group and I noticed many people asking where you had been so curiostity pulled me to read this blog and I can see you are one very special and talented person. Hope you don't mind if I mark your blog so I can read it everyday. This particular post was very informative and also gave me goosebumps. I hope you enjoyed your Independence Day!
Take care, Patti
Hi Beth! Just wanted to let you know that I added your blog to my list of favorite blogs. I also moved from yahoo. I love this one so much more. It's more fun to play with. :) I haven't read through all your posts yet but I will be back. Visit me too!
ReplyDeletehttp://shutterbuglady.blogspot.com/
Hugs, Elaine
Great blog. Thanks for posting what needs to be said.
ReplyDelete