Monday, December 29, 2008

December 26-28, 2008

I woke up on Friday just in time to get to dialysis. I talked to the clinic a few times that morning, making sure they had all the lab- and paperwork they needed. The last call I received was to let me know they would have room for me at 2:00pm rather than the 3:30 slot I'd been given previously. Thank goodness, because I didn't want to be ending my treatment at 6:45! I wanted to get back home.

Dad had to play music with
Detour at the Cancun Cantina all the way down by BWI Airport. Mom and I stayed home and enjoyed a quiet night...or so we thought! We were downstairs watching Mom's new DVD of "It's a Wonderful Life" when Sarah called. Caleb fell going up the stairs at their house and put his tooth through the skin under his lip. She called the help line at AAMC and asked one of the nurses what she should do. She was instructed to try to stop the bleeding, but if it didn't stop in five minutes, to take him to the ER. So about 15 minutes later the phone rang again and she told Mom she was on her way to drop Anna off to us.

Anna sat quietly for a few minutes, but then she wanted Mom to read her a book. Mom told her that we've watched lots of movies with her and it was Anna's turn to watch a movie with us. Luckily we were about 20 minutes from the end, so she didn't get too demanding. After the movie we went upstairs for drinks and snacks. I grabbed the veggie platter and dip and we all sat down to munch. Anna was more interested in feeding Kasey the cherry tomatoes than eating them herself after I made the mistake of telling her Kasey liked veggies too. We put the tray away after Anna dropped a carrot on the floor deliberately. I'd just told her that Kasey had had enough veggies, so Mom scolded her for dropping it.

Sarah called to let us know that Caleb was getting one stitch. She picked Anna back up a little after midnight. I couldn't believe Anna was still going strong! We could tell she was tired, but there was no way she was going to sleep! Sarah said that Caleb fell asleep in the car less than a block from the hospital.

I actually stitched while watching the movie! Hard to believe, huh?! I decided to work on Love Laugh Survive & Thrive, the Cat's Whiskers kit Amy sent me in the Chatty Stitching Exchangers' Advent Exchange. Yes, I know: It's PINK! But as I told Debi, it's for breast cancer awareness, so I can deal with it. Otherwise, I'd have changed the color, for sure!
Ta Da!!! Finish #48!! Love Laugh Survive & Thrive by The Cat's Whiskers Design Studio. I put the last stitch in at 3:19am Saturday morning, just as Dad was getting home. Mom went to bed shortly after Anna and Sarah left, but I wasn't about to waste Stitching Mojo! This kit includes the ribbon and bead to finish it into a scissors slide, so I'm going to attempt to follow the directions.

I slept until after noon on Saturday, finally! I wanted to go to the JoAnn's Superstore in Christiana, DE, to buy some finishing supplies for My Stitching Album by Jeannette Douglas as well as LLS&T. Mom asked me to take Kasey with me so that she could vacuum the main floor while we were gone. Kasey is afraid of the noise vacuums make so no one did it earlier for fear of upsetting her.

I hit the jackpot, almost, at JoAnn's! I even found the buckram that the MSA finishing instructions call for! Another lady in the MSA group bought hers off eBay, so I thought I was going to have to jump through hoops myself to find it. What a relief! I was also able to find the fabric for the backs of the pages and the pockets, a 2-pack of Fray Check, Stitch Witchery, a Styrofoam block for Autumn Whispers, and fusible backing for the LLS&T scissors slide. All for under $26! Ian gave me $50 to buy stash! He's such a good brother! lol

Mom and Dad left for anther gig at the Cancun Cantina Saturday evening, so I had the house to myself with the two dogs. I went down to the basement and watched the first four Love Comes Softly movies while stitching! I decided to start 'Stitches Stars and Stripes, A Sampler for Vicki' by Blue Ribbon Designs. It's their patriotic game board. This is my progress as of Midnight Saturday.

Mom and Dad arrived home a little after 4am and we talked for a few minutes before I went to bed. I had just finished one of my movies and didn't want to stitch any more for fear of making a mistake, especially since I was yawning so much.

I had dialysis again on Sunday but didn't do any stitching. Everyone was watching football games and I'm a Cowboys fan, so had to watch the game since I was in a room of Eagles fans. I only saw the first hour of the game, but it was pitiful. Now I guess I'll be rooting for the Manning brothers. It would be awesome to see them head-to-head in the Super Bowl!

When I got home from dialysis Mom told me that her neighbors were going to be coming over shortly. Ms. Sheila helped Mom with the quilt for Ben. Sheila and her husband Ed came over and we all sat in the living room to chat. Mom gave them their gifts and then we went downstairs because they wanted to see the pellet stove. Kasey was in heaven because Ed and Sheila are dog people and spent the entire time petting her.

I have no idea why, but I was yawning the whole time they were over! I was so ready for bed! I had to stay up for a little while; Mom made me eat something, but I just wanted to go up to my room! I tried to finish off LLS&T into the scissors slide but gave up after I stuck the third pin into one of my fingers; I'd had enough! I also discovered that I bought the wrong stuff, darnit! Skirtex is a board-like backing and I bought thick fusible backing. It won't hurt anything, but I think I need the Skirtex because pinning the stuff I have is hazardous to my fingers!

I did more stitching today, while I was watching movies last night and a little after putting away LLS&T. I'm very happy with my progress and am hoping this heralds an end to the slump. That remains to be seen, however!

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on the stitching again - nice finish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh. I love the scisors slide, and *really* looking forward to seeing the gameboard!

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least you were able to get a few stitches in! You will be back at it soon, I'm sure :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments, words of encouragement, and questions. Thank you for stopping by Crossed Purposes!