hilarious. When Mom moved to Elkton we found Blue Ball Road nearby and of course Ian and Ben had to say something. Now Ian lives 15 minutes outside a town called Blue Ball, so I'm sure the novelty has worn off. But I still couldn't resist. We were there, Mom and I. Several times on Friday, in fact. Mom didn't realize we'd already been through there a few times when we headed back to make our fifth and last stop...but that's for later.First, I need to back-track to Thursday. After stitching most of the night, blogging, and reading email, I finally decided just to stay up so that I could take Kasey to the dog wash as soon as it opened. I made it, but I was a half-hour early as I thought they opened at 8am rather than 9am. Kasey didn't look at the toys so I didn't bother buying her a new one. It's not like she needs more toys, anyway. Her toy basket already overflows when I try to put them all away.
While she was being bathed I headed back down to the Eastport Post Office to mail some RAK's and other things. If I have your address, start stalking your mailman. I sent stuff all over the country, and to at least one other country for that matter! I have three more packages that need to go out but they weigh over 13oz and have to be sent Priority. They will have to wait.
I came home and goofed around on Facebook some more, read more email, and then Mr. Exhaustion caught up to me around noon. That was it! I was out! I missed stitching at Barnes & Noble because I slept through it. And then I could only sleep until 4pm.
Mom called around 6pm to ask me to come up tonight so that we could go to some stores near Lancaster tomorrow. She said she had everything mapped out and directions printed, but there were some things she wanted to get and a smorgasboard someone told her about that she wanted to eat at.
I left around 8:30 because traffic was horrendous today. I stopped at Wendy's to get a Double Stack for me and a plain hamburger for Kasey for dinner. I figured the burgers would tide us both over until we got to Mom's to have a real dinner. Other than a short delay at the Bay Bridge tolls our trip to Elkton was uneventful and we arrived shortly before 10pm.
As a sign of how comfortable Kasey has gotten with Jake and Ricco, she ate her dinner while they were in the room with her. Usually I have to feed her in my bedroom after we go to bed because she will not eat around any other dogs (a result of my old Saluki attacking over food). Apparently she's figured out that the boys are completely safe and won't jump her while she's eating.
Mom said she wanted to get an early start so everyone went to bed early. Sleep didn't cooperate with me, even though I only slept for four hours this afternoon. I was completely frustrated, but I was able to read half a book. After getting only four hours of sleep, AGAIN, I woke up at 8am and dragged myself out of bed and downstairs.
Mom and I left for Pennsylvania at 9:30. She had four stores she wanted to visit, plus stopping by my brother's apartment to see Ian and Sara. Our first destination (after passing through Blue Ball) was Weaver's Store Incorporated where Mom was looking for curtains. We didn't find any there, but many of the store employees stopped us to ask about Kasey. One of the ladies told me that service dog puppy raisers like to bring their puppies in there to expose them to all the different sights and sounds. I thought it was wonderful that they were all so welcoming. I picked up two chew bones for Kasey. I thought $2 a piece was great, considering the last one I gave her was $7. Granted, the other one was bigger, but these should last her a while, at least.
My search of Weaver's shoe department didn't turn up any prospects to join my collection. I'm tired of plastic shoes or shoes whose soles make me fell as if I'm walking in bare feet. I need some cushion, but I can't stand tennis shoes. I only wear slip-on shoes in the summer. And absolutely no socks! My feet need air in nice weather, daggummit!
Next was Shady Maple (going through Blue Ball to get there). Mom kept telling me about this huge smorgasboard she heard
about. She wanted to try it out. Apparenly everyone else in the Northeast heard about it, too, because it was packed! I opened the door and the man in front of me turned around and walked back out. The cachophany of noise hit Kasey's ears and she backed up as if to say "Not me!" I saw the line that I couldn't find the beginning of and said "Absolutely NOT!" Thank Goodness for cell phones, because Mom hadn't even returned from parking the car yet. I knew she wouldn't be able to find us in the crush. I called her and told her about the long line and Kasey's reaction to the noise and suggested we go downstairs to the Dutchette Restaurant.That's where we wound up eating. It was cafeteria/salad bar style, but the food was good. Mom had a turkey club that she enjoyed. She was pleased that it was real sliced turkey and not "slimey" lunchmeat. I had the potato bar and Kasey enjoyed a bowl of ice water. They even had the tiny ice cubes that she likes. For under $12 for the two meals, with drinks, it was a nice lunch.
After eating we went to the attached Gift Shop, which is a misnomer. The place takes up the entire downstairs of the building, with the restaurant to one side. The website says it's 40,000 square feet. The building itself is ginormous! They had toys, a quilt shop, candles, wind chimes, home decor, souveniers, collectibles, you name it! Mom found some gifts and some textiles for her mantle and end tables but nothing really caught my eye.
The Gift Shop building was behind the Shady Maple Farm Market and Good's Store so Good's was our next stop. There Mom found her curtains and I found a pair of shoes. She also found a lighter-weight fleece jacket for only $13. After all the walking around and the lack of sleep I was starting to feel worn out.
Mom decided not to go to the Farm Market so we headed to Leola, PA (passing through Blue ball once again), to see Ian and Sara. We were behind this buggy for a short while on the way there. After sitting down and chatting for a while, Mom wanted to go to Intercourse to a candle shop she previously visited. I was comfortable on the couch talking to my brother. Kasey was contentedly laying on the floor. So Mom and Sara went to the candle store while Ian and I talked and then watched part of Episode 1 of Band of Brothers. He also gave me my "late birthday present," his DVD set of Band of Brothers. I'd been asking to borrow it for a while but he gave it to me because he bought the Blue-Ray edition.When Mom and Sara returned it was time to go. The last stop of the day was in Blue ball, the
Flower and Craft Warehouse. On the way to the F&CWh, we were gifted with this beautiful sight. I took other pictures of the rainbow, but this one shows it best. Just my luck: every "store" mom wanted to go to today was the size of a damn warehouse! Jewelry Store, Candle Shop, Scrapbook & Bead Shop, Gift Shop...it didn't end! I looked through the cross stitch section and didn't find much. I picked up two Lemon Lavender Yankee Candle votives because that's my favorite scent. I wanted the tiny jar candle but they didn't have any.I finally caught up with Mom in the fake flower store where she was looking for something to put in the watering can she recently bought for the hearth. By that time I'd also been upstairs to the Gift Shop. I was absolutely done in. I told Mom I'd wait for her out front because I was going to sit on one of the benches. The two padded benches were taken by husbands who obviously didn't want to follow their wives around the stores, so Kasey and I went into the elevator lobby (Now why couldn't I see that darn elevator when I was going upstairs? Kasey and I took the steps.) and sat on one of the wooden benches.
After sitting there for a little while, I got tired and laid myself down on the wooden slats. Kasey plopped down right in front of me, almost under the bench. And I fell asleep! I woke up with a group of ladies asking me if I was okay. I told them I was just tired. The next time I awoke, it was to one of the employees in the office asking if I needed help. She asked me if I drove myself and was relieved to hear I had someone with me. I told her, too, that I was tired out from a long day of shopping.
Mom finally came out after about a half hour and we headed back towards Elkton. Since it was almost 7pm and we hadn't eaten since lunch at 1:00, I was hungry. I told Mom to stop at the first Wawa she could find. Both of us had an Italian sub and then we were back on the road.
We arrived home at 9:00pm and I went straight up to my room and fell asleep. I even forgot to feed Kasey. I'm sorry, Kay-Kay!











































































a href="http://www.justparents.co.uk/">




No comments:
Post a Comment
I appreciate your comments, words of encouragement, and questions. Thank you for stopping by Crossed Purposes!