I have to ask, did this offend any of you who read my blog?Because it was deleted from my photo album in the Embroiderer's Guild of America's Yahoo group. So I sent this message to the group after seeing posts calling my needlework "inappropriate."
Ironically enough, the main topic of conversation in this group has been how to attract and retain members my age and younger.
DUHHHHHHHHHH!!!
MY LETTER TO EGA NATIONAL YAHOO GROUP:
As the stitcher of the photo in question, I'm offended it was deleted without contacting me.
Your intolerance of anything you don't like is one of the reasons EGA's membership has dwindled considerably in recent years. It's what keeps younger members away! I've taken that piece to every single one of my face to face groups (with ladies in their 70's & 80's), a stitching retreat (where I was the youngest attendee), posted the same picture to my blog and Ravelry where it received laughs, and been asked to add it to my photo albums on more than half a dozen Yahoo cross stitch groups. No one has been offended; it garners laughs from whomever sees it. It was stitched for a 53-year-old police officer's birthday. It is similar to a framed picture she has on her laundry room wall. Not only is she going to fall out of her chair laughing when she sees it, but her 86-year-old mother is probably going to go into a coughing fit because she will find it hilarious.
While it's not something my grandmother would want on her tree, she thought it was very funny. This group seems to stifle anything that doesn't conform to its narrow vision of what is appropriate in needlework. Forget the Artistic Freedom! CONFORM! CONFORM! CONFORM! This is the email discussion group for the Embroiderer's Guild of America and I stitched that piece! I didn't ask anyone to like it, in fact, I didn't say anything about it. I made sure it wasn't the cover of my album so as not to draw attention.
I'm sorry you have no sense of humor where needlework is concerned; my friends always tell me that any needle art is supposed to be fun! It was a VERY fun stitch and super-simple! If you hadn't said anything, no one would be wondering what that picture was; it wasn't harming anyone! Don't look at the book Subversive Cross Stitch, either. I'm getting ready to stitch a sampler from it for the same police officer as her Christmas present.
I've deleted my entire photo album because you've now convinced me that EGA isn't the place for me, people of my generation, or generations to follow. I would like a refund of the remainder of my dues. I'll start attending the ANG meetings instead. I'm sure those ladies will chuckle at my ornament, and my friend is going to hang it on her Christmas tree.
Thank you for showing your close-mindedness this soon after I joined EGA_National discussion Group. At least I haven't had time to make friends and I won't miss you!! I have better ways to spend my time, with more tolerant and accepting needleworkers. Chalk this up to another younger member being run off by those who are set in their ways. Good luck!
That letter was followed by THIS ONE:
"I think our main goal is to be there for ALL stitchers of ALL levels and interests. Make them WANT to some [sic] to meetings because we are so fun and friendly. Keep the atmosphere accepting of everyone no matter what she is stitching."
Isn't it ironic another member says this, because the Powers That Be just deleted a picture of a piece I stitched, saying it's not "appropriate."
And you wonder why and bemoan the fact you cannot attract and retain younger members? Yes, my piece had the F word in it, however this is not a public-access group where anyone could see such things. We're all supposed to be adults here.
I think it's inappropriate for you to tell me something I stitched is not appropriate! The person it was stitched for is a single female with no children. She also cusses like a sailor, carries a gun, and has a picture with the same word in it hanging on one of her walls!
EDIT: Neither of these messages appeared on the EGA_National discussion Group. They were deleted by the moderators so members wouldn't see them.
Edit2: Wench removed from post subject in deference to members of the International Wenches Guild (http://www.wench.org/). I don't want to offend any Women Entitled to Nothing but Complete Happiness!











































































a href="http://www.justparents.co.uk/">




Well done Beth! And they still wonder why there aren't more young people... :Z
ReplyDeleteI loved the designs, otherwise I wouldn't have purchased them :) I already stitched the saying and it was given as a prize in a blog contest to a ... priest! She loved it!
Give 'em Hell Beth!!!!!! I concur with you. It's your stitching and censorship doesn't belong in the arts!
ReplyDeleteLinda F who loved the piece!!!!
I think you should have posted your note to their list, not just to your blog. People that just read the EGA list should be aware that a photo was deleted because it was found offensive.
ReplyDeleteAre there rules listed on offensive photos? Do the photo's randomly show up on the front page of the yahoo group? Had anyone complained about it?
I find mushrooms offensive - can I have all pictures of those removed?
I too dropped out of my local EGA. I can better spend my $40 dues on projects I enjoy stitching. The projects the local EGA picked to stitch were expensive and did not appeal to me. I enjoy the online community (which is free) and the fact that there is a wide variety of items to stitch to fit everyone's taste. Because I was also the youngest member of the group, they expected me to do alot of the work (put out a news letter every month). I do work full time and have young children. Stitching should be fun and relaxing. I have a blog now where I put my stitching pictures to share with other stitchers.
ReplyDeleteI read about this "controversy" on the ANG list - what a bunch of old ninnies!! I love the piece!! Good for you for quitting - I was thinking of joining EGA but now I have my doubts! - jenn
ReplyDeleteWhere could I get this pattern?!?
ReplyDeleteWell said!
ReplyDeleteI know I would not buy or stitch that piece on my own. I would if someone asked me to though.
I thought the whole point of doing needlework was to enjoy what you are doing and make SOMEONE smile.
Not everyone is going to like what is stitched.
That is ok though we all have our own opinions!
That is what makes us individuals.
I do not think it was right of someone to delete your photo without talking to you first.
I am a stitcher who is a little older (it is much to my chagrin that I must admit this) but I totally sympathize with the younger stitchers who don't feel welcomed by guilds and in shops and elsewhere because they stitch fun and sometimes "rude and crude" pieces instead of traditional samplers and such. I actually find the subversive style of new generation stitchers quite funny. I love the references to pop culture, video games, and so on. While I personally wouldn't hang the ornament in question on my tree, I giggle when I see it and love the design. (And the only reason I wouldn't hang it on my tree is because I have a young nephew and I get in enough trouble with my sister for the words he picks up from me.)
ReplyDeleteI don't belong to a guild or anything like that either - because there aren't any nearby. There also aren't any good needlecraft shops nearby. Maybe the one we had wouldn't have closed if older stitchers were busier embracing the new generation of needleworkers instead of looking down their noses at them!
Oh Lord. My dues for my EGA group, with National, Regional and Local are $50 a year. I LOVE my group, but have found National to be stuck so far up their rear end they poop out of their eyes. I keep up my membership only because of my particular group. And that stupid magazine they put out is a joke. Good news is that the old fogies will be dying off soon...(Now I am not wishing death upon anyone, just stating a fact. They are all about 100 years old!)
ReplyDelete"Good news is that the old fogies will be dying off soon" Ouch! At 50 yrs old, I guess I'm one of the "old fogies." EGA has its problems, but I sincerely hope that it can adapt to the needs of younger stitchers. I belong to both EGA & ANG. Both groups face this same challenge.
ReplyDeleteBeth, I love your blog & the Christmas ornament doesn't offend me, although it wouldn't go on my tree. I'm sorry that you've had this experience with EGA. But to play devil's advocate for a moment, they may have been thinking of their uaer agreement with Yahoo when they deleted their photo. Don't ask me why other Yahoo groups don't have a problem with it. I'm not in charge of the EGA group and I'm not a National officer. This is just a guess. Take a few days/weeks/months to think about membership in EGA. We are truly not all narrow-minded dinosaurs.
Thanks for speaking out Beth! The piece is a hoot! I'm one of the old fogies now too (damn, I hate that!) although I'm not involved in EGA. I don't often stitch sayings, but my 2 favorites that I have done are "Uppity Woman", which has hung over my desk for years (in my office before I retired and a couple of the guys thought it was pretty wierd). The other was a runner made to cover a bad spot in a doorway that said "Ploddy Ploddy Forward", which is a line from a song by the Small Faces back in the "old" days of the 60s. Keep on keepin' on Beth!
ReplyDeleteBeth, I am so sorry! what Wenches!! it was a cute pic...and perfect for your friend, I am sure! go get them girlfriend!
ReplyDeleteLori
I think the ornament is cute! Do they have a rule that profanity isn't allowed in pictures on their list? I guess stitching a nude would be out of the question too? I can think of some things that would be too offensive to post, but that ornament is something I wouldn't be afraid to show to anyone.
ReplyDelete