Wednesday, February 6, 2008

January 26, 2008

I know I promised Miss Deborah that I wouldn't go anywhere, but I woke up at 1:30am tingling. That tingling means that my calcium has dropped. Since I'd already taken the extra dose that was sent home with me, I had to go to the store to get something to try to keep my calcium level up. The only thing open was the 7-11, so I got two rolls of Tums, two Lunchables, and a half-gallon of milk. I was suprised that Kasey let me leave without her, but she stood right in the kitchen doorway with her bear in her mouth.

Once I got home, I drank a big glass of chocolate milk and ate one of the Lunchables. I went back to bed when I got tired and didn't wake up until around 8am.

Uncle Wes went to fill all my prescriptions for me. I know I still need calcium because I was still tingling. I kept taking the Tums, but the tingling wouldn't go away. Once my eyesight starting doubling, I called the doctor right away.

Dr S told me to go to the ER and he'd call ahead with orders for bloodwork. The ER was absolutely packed when we got there at 3:30pm! There were at least three or four people with IV pumps sitting there! Luckily, I got called back in less than twenty minutes, so I didn't have to sit out there with all those sick people.

I have to admit that I didn't take this re-admission all that well. I cried all the way to the hospital, and had a good cry on both Kasey and Chet before leaving the house. I felt so awful, because Kasey just had this questioning look in her eyes as I was walking around re-packing my bags. It was as if she was saying "Mom, where are you going NOW?"

It took forever to get bloodwork done, and the fact that I have no veins for them to draw from didn't help. She was able to get an IV in, but couldn't draw blood from it. Then, hours later, that line didn't even work and an IV Therapy nurse was called. She couldn't start another IV, so put in a reccommendation for another central line.

I was taken directly to the dialysis suite from the ER, without even going to my room. My potassium was really high, so the easiest way to lower it is through a dialysis treatment. It's also the quickest way to boost my calcium level, hence the late-night treatment. It was nice being the only patient in there. Kemi, the nurse, and I watched the Hallmark Channel movie that came on at 7pm and the one that followed it at 9pm. I didn't go to my room until 1am.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments, words of encouragement, and questions. Thank you for stopping by Crossed Purposes!