Thursday, May 22, 2008

Some Recovery News-April 23

I just wanted to share the great news I got from my doctor at dialysis. First, two weeks ago, my calcium was HIGH and my liquid calcium and my IV vitamin D were cut by 1/3. This week, my calcium was just below being high, so the doctor told me to stop taking the vitamin D altogether at home. I also don't need to take the Thiamine (Vitamin B6) anymore as he says the renal vitamin I'm taking has enough of the B vitamins in it. In addition, he switched me from the high calcium "bath" that I get at dialysis to a lower one.

It looks like the "Hungry Bone Syndrome" has finally gotten its butt kicked!

I have a 10am appt with my Urologist for my pre-op to get the stents (tubes) in my kidneys and ureters changed. It probably should've been done sooner, but I just couldn't go back to the hospital so soon after finally being "free!" It's a same-day surgery and I'm usually home by noon to rest for the next two days. I've had about 58 of these surgeries since 1995, so I'm a pro at this one. After a few hours, I usually don't even need the painkillers, but I keep it on hand in case they have trouble pushing the new stent in place...sometimes I just feel like I've been used as a punching bag on the inside. I don't forsee any problems, as the last couple years' worth have gone smoothly.

Also, my surgical scar on my neck has healed excellently and I don't feel self-conscious about it. You can see it, but it doesn't stand out, as I'm sure Sue V and Laura can tell you. It's only twinged once when I stretched it somehow, but otherwise is painless. My doctors are amazed at how good it looks. There were no stitches, just steri-strips covering it to close it so there's no stitch or staple marks around it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments, words of encouragement, and questions. Thank you for stopping by Crossed Purposes!