Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The Year of the Sampler...SAL Anyone?

Okay, so I didn't DO any stitching today but I would like to TALK about future stitching. As I've mentioned in previous posts, I am not making a list of projects to stitch in 2009. Instead, I am proclaiming 2009 "The Year of the Sampler." I have dozens of samplers in my stash and would like to see many of them stitched. To that end, that's what I'm going to work on next year. If anyone would like to stitch along, even for one project here and there, please let me know!

I have joined the Gallery of Samplers blog so that I can share my finishes. I know there are Sampler Yahoo groups, but I'm in enough groups already and don't wish to add to the email time each day.

Here are just some of the needlework-related definitions of sampler from Webster's Dictionary:
  1. a decorative piece of cloth embroidered with various designs or mottoes in a variety of stitches, serving as an example of skill at needlework.
  2. a piece of cloth embroidered with various stitches, serving to show a beginner's skill in needlework.
  3. a piece of embroidery demonstrating skill with various stitches
  4. a pattern; a specimen; especially, a collection of needlework patterns, as letters, borders, etc., to be used as samples, or to display the skill of the worker.

With so many different definitions, I'm sure we can make anything fit, right? *wink* Have fun and happy stitching!

Hopefully I will get a good number of samplers done next year; wish me luck! I hope some of you join in along the way!

6 comments:

  1. i would love to do a sal w/ you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear of your stitching slump, we all go through them! It will come back, that itch to stitch! hope it's soon, for it sounds like you have exciting stitching plans for next year! I look forward to seeing some of those beautiful samplers you'll be working on!

    ~A Joyful Stitcher~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd SAL too. Do you have a list of the items you plan to do? I've got a couple going right now already. (And if I'm lucky I'll get one for Christmas too!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a huge! sampler that I am hoping to start in 2009. It is 1 Corinthians from My Big Toe Designs. Hubby and I used those verses in our wedding 10 years ago. Maybe I'll get it done for our 20th anniversary LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have at least four samplers in my must do list for this year and several UFOs that should get done so I guess I am up for it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okey dokey. I will indeed happily join you... but really, did you need to turn us on to another place to see cool patterns to love? ;-)

    Thanks for the hook-up to the gallery.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments, words of encouragement, and questions. Thank you for stopping by Crossed Purposes!