Friday, January 16, 2009

January 15, 2009

My, was today weird, schedule-wise. I was up all night again so I went to the post office when it opened. I mailed trades to Jenn, Dee, and Debi. I went straight to bed upon my return home and slept until Kasey woke me up at 4:45 this afternoon. I guess I should thank her because I needed to get up and eat something before getting ready for tonight's ANG meeting up in Columbia, MD.

The Black-eyed Susans' meeting was basically a sit 'n stitch, which I really enjoy. We had show and tell where we went around the room so everyone could show recent finishes. I took Baby Kasey, Eight Pointed Stars, Ebb Tide, Autumn Whispers, and some planned projects for 2009. Everyone ooh'ed and aah'ed over Baby Kasey. They all said she looks so realistic, it's as if you can reach out to pet her. I passed around My Stitching Album, A Stitcher's Companion, and Blue Bayou so the ladies could see the colors I decided to go with.

I also learned about the process of learning Japanese embroidery. I like looking at it, but I don't think I'm interested in learning it from the masters! I'm not very fond of some of the motifs and don't think it would hold my interest. It sounds fascinating, though, as everyone who wants to get their certificate must attend a class in Georgia for a week with the family who runs the actual Japanese embroidery studio in Japan. The ten phases take years and years to complete, so you have to be very dedicated in order to actually get certified

I stitched on my Peacock Chair again tonight but still haven't finished those chair arms! To add insult to injury, I have to frog about two-thirds of the top row of x's on the left panel. I started the row from the right doing one stitch at a time. Since I was using a solid color and realized I was making very slow progress, I decided to do all the stitches going to the left and come back with the other leg of the X. The only problem, which I didn't notice until I was working on the right panel, is that it's quite obvious I changed something in the middle of the row. So those stitches are coming out and I'll complete the row by stitching complete X's.

I received half of my January order from Wasatch Needlecraft yesterday! Chapter 3 of My Stitching Album was released earlier this month so that went right into the MSA binder. This chapter is called Scotch Switch and features one of my favorite easy stitches, the Scotch stitch.

I can't wait to dive into these samplers! They're going to be gorgeous when they're all stitched and made into the album. I hope I'm up to the task! And the colors...so pretty!

Also in the package Karen sent was a pack of marking pins by My Big Toe and my fibers for Home of a Needleworker (Too!), Crescent Colours on left; Blue Bayou, center Kreiniks; Don't Cross Me When I'm Stitching, two GAST farthest left; A Stitcher's Companion, Dinky Dyes on bottom; and Patriotic Wishes I and II, remaining GAST on right. The marking pins were a free gift from Karen's January sale.

I want to thank Jo Mason for helping me choose the colors for A Stitcher's Companion by Enchanting Lair. I wanted to use Yallingup, the varigated I've used in my DD quilt squares, Peacock Stitching Chair, and Medley; but I was unsure of which two shades of purple to combine with it. I emailed Jo (Mrs Dinky Dyes herself) and she got right back to me with Kirribilli and Wild Lavender.


Talk about purple-y-ness! I did a floss toss to make sure these colors will work with my Purple Horizon fabric and WOW! If you don't like purple you're certainly not going to care for my version of A Stitcher's Companion. I'm so excited to get started on this project!

4 comments:

  1. Nice progress on the peacock chair. Can't wait to see the stticher's companion start.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Beth,
    I read that you will be doing the Stitching Album...My LNS has been talking about that in their monthly e-newletter and I did see it during my last visit. I will be interested to hear about your progress on this :).

    Take care of yourself!
    Lisa
    www.cadurst.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chair looks great - sorry about the frogs. Great stash, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beth, you are making great progress on that chair. Can't wait to see it done. I am also on pins and needles to see your Stitcher's Companion. I just know that it is going to be filled with purple-y-ness. :D

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments, words of encouragement, and questions. Thank you for stopping by Crossed Purposes!