Thursday, February 5, 2009

February 4, 2009

I didn't accomplish much more stitching today than I did yesterday. The 'A' of "Album" is done. That's about it. I only stitched from 1:15 to 1:50am. I stopped when I got tired because I know better than to stitch once the yawning begins. That seems to be when the frogs are most likely to attack. Considering all the previous difficulties I've had on this page, I'm certainly not going to invite those blasted frogs in!

I was so upset when I left dialysis this afternoon! My machine alarmed, indicating a venous pressure problem. Fine. Fixed that.

Less than a minute later, without even moving my arm, the machine alarms again. This time it's arterial. Fine. Reset. Fixed that.

My arm still hasn't moved, the machine alarms for TMP. I look over into the next section and tell Greg there's definitely a problem because now it's TMP. He sends over the new tech. New tech messes with the machine, resetting it and it keeps alarming after just a few seconds. I look in one of the tubes and say "It's clotted!" He says "No it's not." I'm LOOKING AT THE CLOT! Don't tell me it's not clotted!

He keeps messing with the machine and now the air detector indicates because he took the tube out of the holder. He keeps messing with the machine. It won't reset now. *I* know he has to untwist the transducer, but he's been trained, so I thought he knew what to do. Finally, totally frustrated that he hasn't asked for help, I look behind me and tell Greg we need help over here.

He comes over and untwists the transducer, first thing. Resets the tube in the holder, and the machine starts up, but stops seconds later. About 10 minutes has passed and 600ml of my blood is in those tubes! The longer they take, the more chance everything will clot and my blood can't be returned.

So the arterial blood gets returned. Venous is a no-go. He messes with it for another 5-10 minutes before calling another tech over to help. By then it's too late. The blood has turned a dark red, almost black, so it is totally clotted.

I was so PISSED because if the tech had asked for help BEFORE messing with the machine for 20 minutes, it could have been returned to me! Instead, it had to be thrown away. I'm just wondering if it's nothing really to worry about, or if the loss will make a difference in my blood count. It's monitored weekly so that medication doses can be adjusted. Unfortunately, I'm anemic most of the time. This episode sure isn't going to help me!

I had tons of email when I got home, so I spent my evening reading that. I also got to chat with Debi and Kathy C, as well as Kim P for a while, which was nice. Carol BC called and we chatted for a while, too.

Barnes & Noble stitching group is tomorrow at 1pm, so I'm going to call it an early night so that I can be awake in time. If I get up early enough, I plan on taking Miss Kay Kay to Muddy Paw Wash for her monthly bath and new toy. I'll be sure to take the camera!

4 comments:

  1. Darned tech! I know this is probably telling you something you already know, but make sure you keep your fluid intake volume up because your body is going to be working to replace the blood.

    I'll say a prayer for ya. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least no more frogs! Sorry about the incident at dialysis. It is so irritating when you KNOW what's going on even more than the tech does (I mean, how many times have you had this done???) and you have to go through this. It's called, I'm not trying to be ugly here, but I can't afford to lose any blood. I don't blame you for being upset. Hopefully, the numbers won't drop too much and it'll all be ok. Have fun stitching and taking Kasey to get a bath!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear, Beth. I'm so sorry this avoidable incident has cost you, not the technician, but you. It's very distressing to say the least, and I can only imagine how you feel. So sorry. Thankfully it sounds like the rest of your day was pleasant. I think your Album is going to be just lovely. By all means take your camera to the Wag and Wash! Take care. Madonna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Lord!! You should have slapped them all upside the head!
    Freaking morons!! _yes, it gets me all riled up, too :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments, words of encouragement, and questions. Thank you for stopping by Crossed Purposes!