But sometimes I could wring her neck!
I went to sleep at 3:30 this morning and she woke me up at 8:30am. Of course I couldn't get back to sleep so I got dressed and we went to run errands. I was in the mood for an Egg McMuffin. I arrived at the drive-through order screen at 10:35am. "We're serving lunch" I'm told. So much for McD's serving breakfast to 11am like my brother told me! I don't eat anything else there, so I just pulled out of line after saying "no thanks" into the microphone.
To give Kasey more practice in her long down-stay with distractions, we went to Muddy Paw Wash. I ordered a chai and sat down with my stitching. I didn't have to be at the Crownsville service station for my brake inspection until noon so we had some time to kill.
The new management of the service station was very helpful and took the time to explain what needed to be done to my truck without talking down to me. In fact, he had three other customers while I was there and the only thing he would accept payment for was a 95-cent light bulb. They did three different quick-fix/inspect jobs, including mine, without charging anything. I will definitely be using them for all my future vehicle maintenance and repair work!
The verdict on the truck's brakes is that, yes, they do need to be replaced, and as soon as possible. The good news is that it'll cost $133 less than what the Rt 50 Exxon service station was going to charge me. But there's more...I also need to replace the rear tires, quickly. I paid $333 in December for front tires but the estimate for rear ones is $280 if I have the Crownsville station do them.
The third bit of news from the Exxon station totally confused me. Last summer they gave me a printout of what's included in the 30,000 mile service and told me parts and labor would be $600. Last week they gave me the same printout and told me that all the parts were fine so it would only be $249 for labor to do the service. I didn't say anything, but the question in my mind was "what parts were needed last summer that are suddenly okay now?! How bad are they lying to me?" The estimate from the Crownsville shop was $198 for the service. Jason told me that 90% of the items included in the 30, 60, and 90,000 mile services are included in his station's regular oil change. Uncle Wes and I need to sit down and figure out when each issue can be dealt with. In the meantime I'm going to keep the truck in the driveway as much as possible.
I've given up on stitching at dialysis because the placement of my new graft doesn't allow me to bend my arm once the needles are in. Today, for example, I slept through my treatment. The 2-hour-plus nap helped make up for some of the sleep Kasey caused me to miss. My dialysis doc was doing rounds today and asked why I was so tired. When I told him I only slept for five hours he cautioned that I was heading for a cold, and maybe worse, if I didn't get a full night's sleep each night. He also said that he wants a picture of Kasey in her service band once it arrives. I told that was completely do-able and I would get it for him as soon as possible.
The stitching group met in the cafe of Border's Books at Annapolis Mall tonight from 7-10pm. Carol called me to let me know she would also be there but would arrive late because she was still making dinner for the family. I picked Kasey up and headed to Border's after leaving dialysis.
I continued working on my Flag Monthly Musing and am very pleased with my progress. My needles have been smokin' ever since I started this project. To give you an idea, here's a little timeline:

Two o'clock this morning

Three o'clock this morning

Three thirty this morning, when I went to sleep.

My progress on the Flag Monthly Musing as of midnight tonight.
I had a scare tonight when Kasey, Carol, and I were leaving Border's Books. The cafe is upstairs in the two-storey store. The only two ways to get to the cafe are an escalator and an elevator. Because Kasey can't ride the escalator, we take the elevator despite neither one of us liking them. We were fine going up. The way down, however, was a different story.
Carol noted that the elevator had a hard jerk when it started and stopped. I didn't say anything at first because I thought I was imagining it, being uneasy on them as I am. Kasey got very spooked and bolted out the elevator door as soon as it opened.
We walked across the store, about 25 feet, to look at the cross stitch magazines. All of a sudden I had a feeling like I was still riding the elevator. My head and my knees made me feel like I was sinking through the floor. Kasey helped me maneuver to a stack of books I could sit on. I put my head down on my knees, resting my forehead on the top of Kasey's muzzle, until the feeling in my head stopped. Carol brought magazine issues to me so that I could peruse them from my perch.
I wasn't light-headed or dizzy. The closest I can compare it to is that it was similar to when you've been on a boat and return to shore, yet still feel like you're on the water.
For years, elevators have disrupted my equalibrium. Tonight was the worst episode caused by riding an elevator that I've ever experienced. Carol mentioned that Kasey's spooking was probably due to her picking up on my discomfort and uneasiness. Kasey continued to dance around and pant nervously until she got in the truck. I was okay to drive home after sitting on that stack of books for several minutes. I'm hoping this was a fluke, but will definitely say something to Borders staff if the elevator jerks sharply the next time I'm on it. I'm also hoping that my problem with elevators isn't getting worse. I'd hate to have to stop going to this group just because I can't ride the elevator anymore. It's too bad they don't have stairs because the escalator could rip off one of Kasey's toenails if we used it.











































































a href="http://www.justparents.co.uk/">




Your comment about McDonalds reminds me of the movie 'Big Daddy' when Adam Sandler goes mental because he can't get breakfast. He thought it stopped at 11 too!
ReplyDeleteCheers
Cheryl
lowincomelady
Please tell me how many people eat lunch at 10:30? It drives me crazy, too! Hope you can solve the elevator problem and get your car fixed for less. Love the Flag - looks cute.
ReplyDeleteI really hope that the elevator thing works out. I love stitching with other people even though it happens very rarely. I would hate to see you not be able to go to your group. :(
ReplyDeleteJust keep on trucking. Kasey will look after you and hopefully you will be able to continue with the Borders Group. Have you asked if there are back stairs somewhere. Seems funny that they would only have escalators and elevators that require power..... You are in my prayers everynight.
ReplyDeleteStitching looks pretty. Glad you were able to get over the stitching block and start something else.
ReplyDeleteLet them know about the elevator now so you won't have to deal with it again or skip the fun time all together.
Hope the truck gets fixed and it doesn't cost as much. I've recently had to have work done on my van. I was having to skip therapy for the oldest boy because it was acting up so hubby finally figured out the stuff he could do and the stuff that just had to be done by a professional. Why can't money just grow on trees so we don't have to stress about these things?!?! LOL
Beth,
ReplyDeleteHope you are felling much better today! Thank goodness for your angel Kasey! Hope they fix the elevator so you can continue to go to your group meetings, they are a nice way for you to get out & be with like minded stitchers!
Nothing quite as depressing as car repairs - yuck.
ReplyDeleteHopefully the elevator will straighten out and not continue to cause you grief!!