Sunday, April 26, 2009

April 22-25, 2009

I played hooky from dialysis today. I wasn't feeling well so I stayed home. I thought this evening was the Borders Books meeting but I was the only one there from 7-8pm. Kasey quietly slept on the floor beside my chair as I stitched. When no one arrived by 8:00, I left to return home.

After posting a message to Facebook, Genia replied that the meetings are the last Wednesday of the month. I was told the 4th Wednesday, but I got in a half-hour of stitching that I probably wouldn't have done at home. This is the progress I made while at Borders. My house is growing flowers!

Thursday was the usual gathering of needle-workers at Barnes & Noble. Audrey gifted me with this wonderful Sampler Gameboard by The Drawn Thread. She also included a 1/4 yard of linen to stitch it on. Thank you, Audrey!

Pam stayed late because she had a 5:30 yoga class nearby. Since there was no sense in her driving all the way home to turn right around for class, we hung out, chatted, and did more stitching. My flowers now have stems, a bird for companionship, and the vine is growing up the opposite side of the fabric.

I did absolutely no stitching on Friday. Mah Jong sucked me in. As a matter of fact, it's sucked me in almost every evening this week. Why is that game so addictive? And I can't go to sleep until I beat the last one. Even if I have to re-start it over and over, I have to finish it.

Saturday was an entirely different matter as far as stitching. I haven't had a day this productive in a long time. It felt wonderful! Not only did I wake up and take America out on the front porch, but I also went into a finishing frenzy! When I woke up I noticed how warm it was so Kasey and I went out to the porch to enjoy the fresh air. I stitched on America for a couple hours.

I was able to complete the lower part of the vine on the left and began the flag. I've been putting off stitching the other side of the house because it's all one color but I think I'm going to have to start stitching at least one length of floss on it each time I work on America.

Then I realized that I only have three days to prepare for my retreat! I did some packing and remembered that I had some gifts I wanted to make. I can't give details and spoil the surprise, but I had my first encounter with lacing and am very happy with the results. After a couple hours' work, I have two finished gifts. You'll have to wait until Friday when I hand-deliver them to see what's inside.

One of the things I wanted to accomplish before the retreat was to finish my stitching book, A Stitcher's Companion. There is going to be a show and tell at the retreat and I was hoping to be able to show off my finished book.

I'm still not thrilled with the finishing instruc-tions, as I think a few simple changes would have made the entire process a whole lot easier, but I tackled it. This is my progress as of midnight, with the first panel closed around the backing board and part-way attached to the inside cover of the book.

Panels two and three still need to be closed, but the backing board is in place. I may yet have that book finished for the show and tell!

2 comments:

  1. Your progress is looking amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so jealous of your energy and productivity. I have been having some real problems, but more on that privately.
    As soon as I can get caught up on work I will email you.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments, words of encouragement, and questions. Thank you for stopping by Crossed Purposes!