First, I will reveal what was in the two wrapped presents I took to the retreat with me.
I made this cigar tin for Carol:I stitched this last year. It's a "Doodles for Leftovers" by Hob-Nobb designs called "I'd Pick You."
I laced the stitched piece to a padded piece of cardboard. Then I spray-glued fabric to the top of the tin. I took my rotary cutter and used the lip of the top to act as a guide to trim the fabric. Then I tacky glued the cardboard to the fabric. Getting the fabric cut to the exact size of the top and bottom of the inside of the tin took the most time, but I was afraid of cutting too much. Therefore, I made tiny trim cuts until the pieces fit and used Tacky Glue to affix them to the tin. I covered the raw edge of fabric on the outside of the tin with 1/8" satin ribbon, and, finally, I put two phone books atop the closed tin to ensure the cardboard adhered to the fabric on the tin while the glue dried.I wanted to give Carol something that wouldn't just sit around, something she could use. This was my solution. Uncle Wes gets cigars in these tins when he takes his trip to Florida each winter. He always stops at JR Tobacco in North Carolina. He gives me all the tins after they're emptied. This is my second tin and I'm much happier with it than I am with the first one I did.
This is what was in the second package. It was my first attempt at lacing a project and I'm very happy with the results. I gave "Friendship" by The Sweetheart Tree to Sue V. I had her in mind when I stitched it because stitching is what brought us together.At the retreat, three people asked me who the designer was after they saw it sitting on the sideboard where we left it while we ate dinner. I'd like to thank the ladies for the compliments on my framing, too. I've never had anything professionally framed because doing it myself is so easy.
So, about the retreat...the first word that comes to mind is overbooked. Mom left to walk the boardwalk when she saw there was no place to sit for the welcome dinner. Sue, Laura, and I sat on the stairs to eat. Kasey loved the attention, but got frazzled at the dinner because of all the noise. There was room for 30-40 people to gather comfortably, yet there were 70 ladies registered for the retreat, plus a few spouses. Sue, Laura, and Carol came to the condo so that we could all sit comfortably together, hear ourselves talk, and not lose our seats when we got up.
The rule at the retreat about not saving your seat was a complete joke, however. When someone got up, she left her stitching in her seat and then came back to it. How asinine would we look if we were to go over, move their things, and sit down? Exactly! Which is why I said the rule was a joke. The same people sat in the same spots all weekend. Funny thing was: they were all Sally's "regulars."
The other problem was that the Lankford is a historic building. There is no elevator and they put Sue and Laura on the third floor. Laura had a total hip replacement last year and Sue has bad knees so the stairs were excruciating, not to mention exhausting, for them. There was a bureau, a double bed, and a twin bed in each room, so there was no room to take folding chairs upstairs or anything.
Sue and Laura said that they were stared at when they arrived and that the ladies seemed snooty. I guess having Kasey with me all the time opens more doors and makes people want talk to me because I didn't notice that. I did notice, however, that they got warmer towards me after seeing my finished book. I think my stitching/finishing did alot of speaking for me.
Kasey was a huge hit at the retreat. I wound up just taking her leash off and letting her loose inside the hotel and LNS. She didn't wander, only went far enough to find the nearest hand willing to pet her. She basked in the attention whenever we were at the hotel.
Her biggest fan was Sally's grandson, Solomon. You could tell when Kasey walked into the building, without even being able to see her, because Solomon would start saying "Woof! Woof! Woof!" as soon as he spotted
her. He was a little intimidated by her size because her face was his face-level but as soon as she would lay down, he was right in front of her, talking to her. He loved playing with Kasey's toes. She would move her feet away, but she didn't get up to get away from him. She's so patient with little ones!Sally's daughter, Mary, thanked me for letting Solomon play with Kasey during the retreat. She said that Solomon's actions over the weekend convinced her that he needs a dog. I told her to look in the local shelter because Kasey was rescue and they make the best pets. She said she was going to the Ocean City shelter to see if she could find a suitable dog for him. I hope they find a great one!
While the hotel was a bust stitching-wise, Myrl's condo was wonderful! Mom and I both had our own bedrooms and bathrooms. There was plentiful seating in the living room for everyone to spread out...and we did! The best part for me, though, was that Kasey felt at home the minute we walked in on Thursday. I emptied her bag of toys on the living room floor before bringing in the rest of my bags and she grabbed her Stinky Ol' Raccoon (he's earned that name, believe me!), squeaked him a few times, and laid down in the middle of the floor.
Here is everyone in their stitching spots in the living room.
Mom worked on her Knifty Knitter scarf at the dining room table, where I also did the framing of Mary Ann's Christmas present (Yes, Christmas in May! We finally had our 2008 Christmas on Sunday!), the Wolf Totem UFO I completed earlier this year.
This is us! Sue, Laura, Me, and Carol!
And this is me and my mom, Jan.
Kasey also liked being able to sit in front of the sliding glass door to look outside. While we couldn't see the ocean because of the dunes, we could definitely hear it when we cracked the door open. To the left is Kasey at her lookout post and to the right is the view from the porch.This was Kasey's first time at the ocean
because I can't stand sand. I'd much rather head west to the mountains if I were going on a vacation. You won't find me out on the beach soaking in the rays, especially not with lots of noisy people around. I like peace and quiet.
That being said, I did take Kasey out on the beach Thursday after getting everything into the apartment. My Plantar Fasciitis has been flaring lately which made walking in the unpacked sand painful for me. It was the only time we went out to the beach
while we were there. The picture on the right was the closest Kasey got to the Atlantic Ocean. I think the water was too cold for her to go wading (Thank Goodness!). There was a small stretch of sand between the front of the condo and the sand dunes, where Kasey wandered around when she went outside.
The goody bag we received was quite nice. Not only did we get one of these cute canvas totes, but inside was also a bottle of Stitcher's Lotion, a Stitcher's Shopping List, highlighter tape, a Just Nan Needle Slide, a Helmscott Designs' 3" Mother of Pearl ruler, and a kit to make a case for the ruler.I arrived in Ocean City a day early because I stitched with the Salisbury, MD EGA chapter on Thursday night. I would like to thank Barbara, Virginia, and all the ladies of the Chesapeake Chapter for welcoming Kasey and I. I enjoyed the stitch 'n bitch thoroughly! Your work is superb! If you want to do a class on making the book, Barbara and Virginia know how to reach me!
I also did all my shopping on Thursday before the influx of guests arrived. I took twelve charts with me so that I could finish kitting them up. I was so good! The only two charts I bought were two more Doodles for Leftovers. Both were designs I hadn't seen before. I will make a separate post of everything I bought (with pictures) so you can see the design, fabric, and fibers together.
I'm very happy for Sally and her family that the retreat seems to be expanding, but disappointed that it was overbooked. I wasn't the only person who arrived on Thursday, and many ladies were staying through Monday. As she said on her blog, there were no shortage of rooms. The problem was space downstairs for the stitchers. Luckily I had Myrl's condo where Mom and I could host my friends, but I don't like the fact that people who paid for the retreat yet weren't in the "in" crowd were forced to find another place to stitch. Sally also said in her blog that the bookings were made early this year, and THEN her "regulars" started calling and saying they were coming.
I feel that there should have been a cut-off when a specific number was reached, not trying to pack us in like sardines. Additional tables and chairs should have been brought in to ensure there was room for everyone, at the very least. As Sue and Laura said, they didn't pay to stay holed up in their room all weekend; being with the group is part of the retreat experience.
Carol, Sue, Laura, and I have decided that we won't go back for the retreat specifically, but we'd love to spend a weekend together during the off season and visit Salty Yarns while we're there.
I'm going to stop there and finish telling you about my weekend when I get all the pictures of my purchases posted. I never knew I could be so exhausted, but I am! Spending my two "off days" (Tuesday and Thursday) this week with my sister and the kids has really wiped me out. Tuesday is usually my day to rest while Thursday I go to the Barnes and Noble stitching group. Instead, I cooked dinner and played with the kids til midnight on Tuesday and drove all around Annapolis on Thursday looking at rentals because they're moving down here from Elkton.
I don't want anyone to worry, but I'm not as awake as I usually am at 2:30am. No late nights for me lately! I'm off to bed!
Hugs,
Beth











































































a href="http://www.justparents.co.uk/">




Hi Beth and Kasey. Looks like you had some fun at the retreat. Gosh I would love to go on one and have a few days devoted to sewing.... sorry about the overcrowding issue though. It does sound as if it needs about half the people or twice the space.
ReplyDeleteKasey does look like she really enjoyed the retreat and is an inspiration for being a home to rescue dogs (or could be cats too). That is how Bruno (our 7-year old "puppy" mixed breed) entered out lives. We received him as an 8 week old from a rescue organization which focuses on saving unwanted puppies and abused dogs.
ReplyDeleteAnyway...looks like, despite the some of the limitations of the retreat, there were some nice memories! Love the photo of you & your mom, perfect timing as we just celebrated Mother's Day.
Thank you for the recap of the retreat...I look forward to photos of projects and other goodies.
Take care!
Sorry that it was disappointing in one way, but glad you were able to spend stitching time with your mom and friends. Great pics and wonderful finishes!
ReplyDeleteLove seeing all your pictures, They are fantastic! I know you must have had an exausting but memorable time! I have been waiting on pins & needles to hear; & looking forward to the next post! Get some much needed rest - the pix of you & your Mom are super! Hugs, Kisses, & Thanks for the precious card you sent - so sweet!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the commentary on your weekend. Sounds like it was very good you had your own place to stay. I know exactly what you mean about people saving their spots and taking over the space. Drives me nuts!
ReplyDeleteBoth of your gifts that you made are gorgeous! Great job on both!! It looks and sounds like you and Kasey both had a fantastic time this weekend!!! So glad that you did!!
ReplyDeleteThat is awful about the crowded retreat. How can you enjoy yourself or even relax when you are elbow to elbow with nasty strangers? The accomodations should have taken into account those who needed ground floor, but an elevator would have been best!I would have been miserable too if I was on the third floor with no elevator. my knees hurt just thinking about it.
ReplyDeleteyou do such beautiful work, Beth. I always enjoy reading your posts and looking at your lovely finishes. You give me strength to keep on keeping on! Now if you could just give me some energy as well??? :)