Thursday, June 25, 2009

Spoiled by the Generosity of Others-June 24, 2009

I came home from dialysis this evening with the intent of picking up Kasey and leaving directly for stitching group at Border's Books. I'd forgotten that tonight was our meeting until Carol called me, asking if I was going to be there. Of course I would!

But when I got home there was this box waiting for me. While it wasn't unexpected, as I was told something would be coming, I never in my wildest dreams expected all the goodies inside. It looks innocent enough, right? OMG!

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Myrl!!!!

The note says:

"Since it is a Flat Rate Box I decided NOT to send it half empty!

In addition to the NN & Eileen Gurak stuff I cleaned out some stash stuff I no longer need/want. Keep or trade or give away.

Myrl"


This is what I found!




The first thing I noticed was the beautiful crocheted scarf. It's made with velvety yarn and will definitely keep me warm. Maybe I should put it in my dialysis bag for those days when I'm freezing and no one will turn up the thermostat? I ooh'ed at it for a minute before my eye caught the acorn.


I saw one of these at an EGA meeting where a lecture was given on antique and vintage needlework accessories. Not only is it a gorgeously carved acorn, but also the top comes off to reveal a carved thimble and a tiny spool of thread with a needle. It's a sewing kit! I think this is my favorite "gadget" of all time! If you click the next picture, you can see the acorn opened with its contents displayed.

See, these were what I expected: charts by Nancy Buhl of From Nancy's Needle. Myrl had emailed me to ask if they were still on my wishlist and told me she was going to Nancy's shop for a retreat. She even got Nancy to sign all the charts for me, and the Iris and Fans Quilt chart is personalized to me! Never in my wildest dreams did I think she'd get ALL of them! Included were Shades of Spring, Evening Star, Patriotic Stars, Medallion, and Iris and Fans Quilt. IaFQ is completely kitted up with mono canvas and fibers! I can start as soon as I like (although I think I'm going to go with a green that's more sage-colored). Also pictured are the purple suede bag with needlepoint insert and the Madiera silks to stitch it, the acorn, and the scarf.

Then there were the two needlepoint pieces by Handblessings that Myrl kitted up for me. They are "Needlepoint Spring Garden" and "Needlepoint Spring Wreath." I am sooooo looking forward to stitching these! Mom likes the Wreath, so her birthday present may have just been taken care of!

On the left is "Mini Noah's Ark" by Hester's Sister, a complete kit. Beside it is "A Miniature Reversible Sampler in the Style of the 17th Century" by The Drawn Thread. Linen and Needlepoint Silks were included for AMRS. I would like to do this one, as I've long been intrigued by reversible cross stitch. I want to give this a go.

I also drooled over this hardanger pouch. It is completely hand-sewn, made from evenweave band. This is the front of the pouch when it is closed.



This is a look at it when it is open. I will have to try one of these, too. I love it! Carol does, too, but it's staying in MY possession!







Then I came across a chart from the Mary Jane Collection, part of the Welcome Series. This one is "Stitcher"...as in "Welcome to the home of a Stitcher." The bottom is black- and goldwork, which can easily become purple-y-ness! (See how twisted my mind is? As I look at designs, I picture them how *I* would stitch them!)

Then there was this wonder of purple-y-ness! I've not seen it before but it's called "Treasured Jewel II: Emerald and Amethyst" by Karen E. Dudzinski. I'm in love! It came complete with canvas, fibers, Rainbow Galleries' Splendor Silk Ribbon, and beads! Oooh! FOUL! Too many yummy choices, Myrl!

I next came across "American Heart" by Stiehler, an EGA Master Craftsman-Canvas Embroidery. This is right up my alley! Patriotic combined with different embroidery stitches! My idea of fun! And there was another Eileen Gurak design! It's called "A House is not a Home without Needlework." How perfect is that??

This is "Bands of Pearle Sampler" that Myrl started. I noticed she starts her rows with an "away knot." I've seen this discussed and suggested, but have not seen it in use until now. I think you're supposed to trim off the knots when you're done and run the thread ends under some of the stitching to secure them. Myrl generously included the fibers and linen for this project as well.

Last, but by all means not least, are these kits and charts. From left top corner: Dimensions' "Learn a Craft," Sunset's "Bay Inn" (stamped kit), "Alphabet" by the Historic Needlework Guild, "Sweetheart Topiary" Treasured Stitching Band by Mill Hill, "February" a year with charm by Lizzie*Kate, "Spring Hare" by Norden Crafts, "Celebrate Life" freebie by 4 My Boys, "Papa Noel" by Mary Engelbreit, "Hydrangea" by Donna Dewberry, Vertical Spool Pincushion kit by Sudberry, and "Easter" holidays with charm by Lizzie*Kate.

Not pictured are a Rainblow Gallery freebie called A Maze in Grace and The Flax Sampler by Sampler House. Don't ask me how I missed them, okay? I'm just overwhelmed!
Oh, so THEN I had to leave right away for Borders, remember??

Yeah...leave all this fiberous wonder to go stitch. The hardship!

But I tore myself away and when I arrived Deb gave me this book, "A Signature in Time" contemporary samplers to stitch. She said she found it at a yard sale and picked it up for me. Thank you, Deb! This was very thoughtful of you! Carol and I looked through and saw several motifs that can be used for a variety of finishes. Maybe I'll have time at some point soon to go through and flag the pages of special interest?

I worked on "It's Good to be Home" and chatted with the ladies around the table. We left when the store closed and I found another envelope of goodies in my pile of mail! Wawanna sent more hand-made floss tags!

Her newest creations are Dazzling Drops! I don't know how she finds the time to do all she does. Not only does she have her own gardens, make her own baked goods (including sourdough bread, y'all!), take care of three gorgeous girly Cavalier King Charles Spaniels, create some of the prettiest Dazzling Ornaments I've ever seen, but also knits, blogs, and paper-crafts! Did I miss anything, Wawanna? I'm exhausted just thinking about all that! You are my hero!

Look at the attention to detail in these! The seahorses are so cute! Thank you, Wawanna!! I'm so honored to receive these! I didn't realize they were a new addition to Dazzling Ornaments until I looked at the Dazzling Ornaments blog.

2 comments:

  1. OMG...that is a treasure of items for someone special!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth,

    I am soooo pleased that you like the thread drops! You just have to evaluate them & send me your suggestions!

    You deserve all the best, your gifts are awesome, for a very lovely & special gal! Looks like you will have plenty of stitching to do over the Summer! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments, words of encouragement, and questions. Thank you for stopping by Crossed Purposes!