I couldn't resist! I started stitching the background on the purple suede bag Myrl sent me. I know I'm probably supposed to do this entirely in tent/basketweave stitch, but that's just so boring to me! I thought an alternating Scotch stitch would add some texture to the background. I think I made a mistake, however, because I couldn't get the curve of the flower petals to look correct.All you needlepointers who read this, what would you do? I have never even contemplated doing a painted canvas before and there's no stitch guide for this. What stitches are typically used for flower leaves and petals? How can I show the curve of the leaves and flower petals? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
So I frogged everything I'd done. I hate negative progress!I didn't get anywhere on re-stitching because Anna and I had our weekly Library date this afternoon, too.
We went to the main branch instead of the Eastport/Annapolis Neck branch today. Big mistake! Anna wanted to do puzzles and there aren't any at West Street. Bad Aunt Beth!
She finally chose three books to take home and I signed her up for the Summer Reading Club. We have to write in a little SRC journal all the books Anna reads this summer and she will receive a stamp each week. She will also get a prize at the end of the summer. All she wanted, though, was the sticker!
When I told Sarah about the journal said said, " But that's like 20 a week!"
I told her, "Write small!"
As I promised, Anna finished watching Lady and the Tramp. She chose to see Cinderella again, too. After the movies were over we walked down to the end of the driveway and back so that Kasey could go outside. Of course, the mosquitoes swarmed us!When we got back, Anna started playing with her stickers. These were actually the
stickers that Amy sent me in the Valentine's Day package, but I knew Anna would love them. I found a little pink spiral notebook for her to put them in. There are also three on my laptop (they were originally on my forehead, arm, and leg, respectively).Uncle Wes found a little step stool he made in high school when he was cleaning part of the carport. He cleaned it up and gave it to Anna as her new "table." It's been sticker-fied, too!
Sarah and Ty arrived around 8:00pm to pick up Anna. Tyler also helped Uncle Wes take the old A/C unit out of the livingroom window and replace it with Sarah's newer unit
that was in her house in Elkton. It's amazing how much light can actually come through that window now that the behemoth A/C unit isn't there, even though it's inside the carport!Anna got very playful (she wouldn't take a nap for either Sarah or me today)and started using her Uncle as a play-gym. She thought it was hilarious to put her hand over Wes's mouth while he was talking.
While Anna was playing with her stickers, I started browsing the 100+ emails in my Yahoo inbox. Once again, I was stunned by the generosity of my fellow stitchers. Lisa has graciously offered to send some movies that her boys have outgrown, including Anna's favorite, The Little Mermaid. Or, as she says "Ar'el."
Your timing couldn't have been better, Lisa! Anna brought me the insert from Lady and the Tramp, opened to a page in the middle. She pointed at the picture of TLM and said "You need buy DAT ONE, Aunt Beppy!"
Later, she walked up to Uncle Wes, poked him in the belly, and said "You need to buy Ar'el movie!"
When I told her that a very nice lady will be sending movies for her to keep and watch here, she smiled and her eyes lit up. I'm going to TRY not to open the box myself and let her do it. I will also attempt to get some pictures. Anna and I are very thankful to you!











































































a href="http://www.justparents.co.uk/">




FWIW, I would stitch the background in the Nuboku Stitch, (http://barbarabergstendesigns.com/) the flowers in diagonal mosaic stitch (http://www.stitchopedia.com/MosaicStitch.html scroll down to find the diagonal version) and the stems in basketweave.
ReplyDeleteThe flowers could be done in a subtle overdyed to give a little of the effect of shading.
Hi Beth,
ReplyDeleteFirst of all I think you are using too large of a stitch for the background which is overpowering the flowers. Try the Mosaic stitch on the diagonal or horizontal. That would give you some movement in the background without overpowering the flowers which should be the focal point of the design. The other option is to use a simple horizontal Bargello stitch. You would stitch a long stitch over two stepping up/down by two canvas threads.
For the flowers I would use a Long and Short stitch angling the stitches in the directions that the flowers bend. I would do the base in a darker pink and add lighter pinks as I moved out to the edge of the flower. In other words, using the Long and Short stitch, I would overlay the threads shading from darker (center) to lighter (outer edge) of the flower. Another fun option would be to stitch the flowers using beads alternating with Tent stitches.
I would then stitch the stem in either Basketweave or Cross Stitch over two.
Another option would be to stitch the background in Basketweave or Alternating Continental. You could then stitch the stems in a diagonal mosaic. I would still stitch the flowers in the Long and Short stitch or with beads and the Tent stitch. If you decide to stitch the background in the Alternating Continental, then mix it up by adding black Kreinik braid for one of the passes of the Alternating Continental stitch. This would add some glitz without overpowering the flower design.
When you pick threads and stitches for a painted canvas design, let the canvas tell you what works. In other words, what is the focal point and how can it be enhanced. Don't worry as much about picking out the correct stitch as you can always make up your own! :-)
Hope this helps!
Cynthia
Windy Meadow