Thursday is a much happier anniversary! Kasey will be turning 7 this week! I estimate her birthday from the day I adopted her because she was surrendered to animal control with 17 other Goldens on Memorial Day weekend 2003. I signed the papers on May 23rd (Breanna's birthday) and my vet and I agreed Kasey was about 10 months old. The papers Animal Control was given were obviously for another dog because they indicated "Sandy" was two-and-a-half years old. Yet the puppy I adopted didn't answer to Sandy. When we said "Kasey" she looked right at us. And that is how she got her name. She is Kasey Kay because my neighbor's youngest daughter is Casey (and their last name starts with C). That way, when I go outside to call my Kasey, Casey next door doesn't think I'm yelling at her!
I called the office of one of my specialists, informing them that I wanted to pay my balance and make an appointment. Their new computer system will not allow you to make an appointment if you have a balance and I knew this. I was transferred to billing and went straight into voice mail. The message says that they will not check the voice mail until 2pm and they will take up to 72 hours to return the call. It was only 9am, so the soonest they would get back to me was in five hours.
I hit the "0" for the operator and went back to scheduling. I explained that I needed to make an appointment as soon as possible because my stents were almost a year old. I asked her if she could take my credit card number so that I can schedule my appointment. She started going off on me about not being able to override the system and that I had to talk to billing because it has to go through their system. I couldn't believe someone was arguing with me over a bill I wanted to pay!
She kept going on and on so I just said, "Fine! I'll go to the office and pay it!" and I did! The office is about a mile from home and I've been going there for fifteen years. I know the front desk admin assistant very well. I told Shannon what happened and she shook her head and covered her eyes. She took my credit card, scanned it, called billing and told them to change my account status, and booked me an appointment for tomorrow! I was not expecting one that soon, but that is the kind of service I usually get from the office. Not to sound superior, but obviously the operator hasn't been around long, otherwise she'd know I'm a long-time patient.
After getting that issue handled, I went to my PCP's office. That office is less than a mile from the first, in the opposite direction from home. When I called there for an appointment, I was transferred to triage and received a message that my call would be returned within 24 hours.
First, I'm not sure why I was transferred to triage, but second, I waited a few hours without receiving a call before leaving the house. I've had a rash on my abdomen that sometimes flares up and have already seen a nurse for it. She didn't have the authority to do cultures or write prescriptions so she referred me back to my Primary.
When we arrived (Kasey was with me through all this, of course), I went to the desk and asked to make an appointment. I told them what was going on and that I'd already seen a nurse. I was informed that the probable reason I was transferred to triage was because I said "infection" and the operator thought I needed an appointment right away. I told them that I wasn't so pushy as to ask for an appointment today, or even tomorrow, but I would like to make one as soon as possible before the doctor is booked for the next several weeks.
They actually got me in to see the nurse practitioner (CRNP) then and there! Gail was very nice. She acted like we've met before, but I don't remember it. I felt so bad! She took a culture of the spot that was bothering me and wrote a prescription for a cream. She said she wanted to hold off on any antibiotics until she knew what type of bacteria it was and what it's sensitive to. That should be no more than four days. She also gave me a few suggestions of things to try in the meantime.
Sorry for ranting again, but WHY is it soooo hard to get people on the phone these days?! Sometimes I want voicemail in businesses to be outlawed! No one answers when their phone rings because they know voicemail will pick it up. What happened to good customer service and returning calls right away? Especially when you work for a doctor! Sick people can't wait 72 or even 24 hours! I'm not going to bother calling the offices anymore. I'm just gonna show up and attend to business that way. At least I don't get queued or brushed off! End of rant. Thank you for staying with me.
Because we were already in West Annapolis, I took Kasey to Woofs & Whiskers Pet Boutique on Annapolis Street. Terry wasn't there, but the mini freezer was full of doggie ice cream. They didn't have any tuna or salmon, but I bought a cup of cheeseburger and a cup of chunky chicken for Kasey to enjoy on her birthday. We were both done in by the heat so we headed home.
A couple hours later, after resting under the living room fan, I had enough energy to go out for the things Gail suggested. There was even time after running those errands to sit and stitch a bit longer.
We left for the Heirloom Stitchers' meeting around 5pm, stopping at Wendy's on the way. Kasey got a Jr Bacon Cheeseburger with no toppings. I should have gotten it with lettuce and tomato since she likes both of those, but I completely forgot. She thoroughly enjoyed it, nonetheless!
By the time I got home I was utterly exhausted. I sent one last Facebook update and went to bed, at 10:15pm!!! It is almost unheard of, for me to go to sleep before midnight.











































































a href="http://www.justparents.co.uk/">




I know just what you mean... If those idiots on the phone knew who they were talking to they would not give such grief! I get special treatment as well, but damn, girl - i wish to hell neither one of us needed it.
ReplyDelete