Friday, November 7, 2008

November 6, 2008

First of all, I'd like to thank everyone for the comments on Eight Pointed Stars. As I've said before, this is my first needlepoint project and I'm enjoying it very much. I love BW's comment about the "purple-y-ness" of it! I think that if it isn't already a word, it should be! It describes alot of my stitching.

So here's today's progress. I stayed up late into the night (yeah, okay, early morning) working the eyelet stitches. I am very pleased with the way the black floche enhances the purples. I'm also very happy I decided not to stitch it in white.

Starting at the top and going clockwise, the stitches in the "notches" of the larger star are double cross stitch, Pavilion Diamonds, Smyrna Crosses, and Alternating Scotch stitch.

I don't know about you, but when I'm stitching, I don't like to skip around. For that reason, I began stitching the Rhodes squares, eyelet stitches, and slanted Gobelin stitches outside the already-stitched area. Per the directions, I was supposed to stitch the medium stars that are beyond these stitches. I was very concerned with the placement and mis-counting, so I chose to stitch from the center out without skipping any areas.

The other reason I chose to go in this order was because there are eight medium stars surrounding the center. Since I'm going to be changing most of the colors, it's going to take a while to lay everything out and choose the combinations of colors used in each one. I'm only using what I have in my stash, so check back to see what I can come up with! I have every one of my over-dyes sititng on my extra tv tray and it's overflowing. I'm probably going to have to move everything onto the dining room table so that I can lay them out and see everything. I'm hoping some of the included fibers from the kit will be appropriate, but that remains to be seen. Wish me luck that I have enough!

3 comments:

  1. Glad you liked my word. LOL And I love seeing your progress on this and am really looking forward to watching the rest of it stitched up.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments, words of encouragement, and questions. Thank you for stopping by Crossed Purposes!